Dice Roller

Oh! As I stagger under the weight of understanding!

I now get it!

Thanks
Thanks for fielding this one, Jonathan!
Sorry, but search as I might, I can't figure out where the dice roller has been implemented. Is this a premium feature only?
Yes, this is a premium feature. Just another reason to upgrade!
If I did, would all the players in my campaign be able to roll dice?
The short answer: YES!

If you are the owner of the campaign and you upgrade, all players in your campaign get access to the dice roller feature (in your campaign only).

If you're a player and you upgrade, but the GM doesn't, you get access to the dice roller, but no one else does (unless they upgrade as well).

I hope that makes sense!
And just a side note: As a general principal, we try to design our premium features so that GMs take advantage of them without requiring every single player to upgrade as well. We don't want any of our features to be half-useful because one of your players decides he/she doesn't want to spend any money on the game.
Admin
The short answer: YES!

If you are the owner of the campaign and you upgrade, all players in your campaign get access to the dice roller feature (in your campaign only).

If you're a player and you upgrade, but the GM doesn't, you get access to the dice roller, but no one else does (unless they upgrade as well).

I hope that makes sense!
It does, and that's great. Thank you for the excellent site. If my game gets going, I'll probably upgrade.

As an aside, wouldn't it make sense to make move the quantity of dice to the front, and the multiplier to the end, since the traditional RPG notation is [number of dice] D [sides on die] + [modifier] x [multiplier]. As in 2d6+4x10, for example. I think this suggestion was posted above.

Also, would editing a post that contained a roll cause the roll to be re-rolled? Or does the [ROLL] notation get swapped with a result?
Good questions!

1. [ ROLL:x:x:x:x] is meant to be cryptic so it doesn't follow any convention. I'd prefer people use the dice roller interface with is in a more understandable order:
( [number of dice] D [sides on die] x [multiplier] ) + [modifier]
Note that the multiplier is applied before the modifier.
Of course, I need to adjust the interface to allow for a wider range of modifiers (as noted in this thread).

2. Behind the scenes, we swap out the [ ROLL:x:x:x:x] notation with [ ROLLRESULT:YYY]. The result of the roll is calculated when you create/edit your post and stored in our database and given a unique id (YYY) and associated with the journal post in which it originated. Technically, someone could go back in and mess with the result id or delete it all together and generate a new one. However, all dice results are repeated at the bottom of the post so you can tell if someone is editing their post to hide a bad roll or to get that crit they need.
Again, thanks for this info, and for the site in general. It's grown significantly since I first snooped about, and in a fantastic way.

Plus, you guys are incredibly responsive. Please keep up the great work.