Next Session

After giving the matter significant thought, I think we should abandon this mission and not face the Balor.

Simply put, there is absolutely no way that our 6th level party can defeat such a high level monster, one of the most powerful extra-planar creatures in the game. It can fly and attack at range with its whip, so our melee attacks will be useless against it. Moreover it can grab us with its whip and drop us from great heights. It is also highly intelligent and thus guaranteed to use its most devastating attacks against us. I just can't foresee beating it.

I really like my character (and yours too) and don't want to lose her. I think we should leave the dungeon, be happy with what we've won, and call it a win. Thoughts?
Agreed
Epic!
As tempting as it is to say we did it, we are a 6th level party. Not to meta game too much, but no way can a 6th level party beat something that powerful. I'm happy to throw the bones back at the abbey till the ice forms a bridge home.
I could go either way. But Carl paints a scary picture so I'm happy to live another day.
Perhaps finding that bugbear village and looting that is a better and saner option. Our prisoner told us they had a great deal of treasure, before we killed him that is
There were over 20 bugbears that attacked the abbey, so even though time has passed and snow has fallen, it is still possible for Grunthok to pick up whatever traces still remain and locate their village.

As far as returning to Wulfgar's Keep is concerned, the party could proceed overland through the forested hills and attempt to pick up the road that leads from Wulfgar's Keep to Henrika's Landing. This is the road that the soldiers who were massing at Wulfgar's Keep took to Henrika's Landing/Unferth's Keep, so you could proceed to either place once you found it. The disadvantage to this option is that the party could get lost in the wilderness if you miss some route-finding checks. It is unlikely that you would get lost permanently, but you could take some wrong turns and spend more time than you had anticipated blundering about in the woods.

At the moment, there is a chaotic jumble of sea ice along the shore (caused by wave action) but Elasha, who was alive during the previous winter, would likely remember that as the cold persisted, the sea ice extended further from shore and became flatter and easier to travel on. Thus, if you wait a bit longer, you could follow the ice along the coast back to the keep. This would be slightly faster than traveling overland, and your chances of getting lost would be small in clear weather, as you would have the shoreline to navigate by. Your third option would be to wait until the entire bay freezes and make straight for the keep across the sea ice.

You could, of course, stay at the Abbey indefinitely. Between the supplies the nuns had laid in and the seals the Frost men had killed, you have ~60 days of food left, and you can attempt to hunt and forage to extend that.

I am looking forward to next Saturday!

My vote to find and attack the bugbear village, then attempt to work our way back to Wulfgar's Keep
We have a druid who can shapeshift into a bird to keep us somewhat on track, yes? I like the plan Carl suggests because it doesn't involve me getting burned to death by a long demonic whip.
Epic!
Never attack unless you're sure you can win. That's my motto.
I bet the guy you took the sword from wishes he had that motto.