Best game moment ever!

← Previous 1 2 Next →
One of my favorites recently happened. We were playing a farewell game. My oldest friend, who also happens to be my oldest gaming buddy, was moving out of town and wouldn't be playing with us much, if at all, anymore.

We're plowing through a fight with zombies in a curch and his barbarian goes down. Fails death save 1. No healing is left. Fails death save 2. We're starting to think this is going to be a downer of a game. He comes around to death save 3, stands up, and delivers this little speech:

Corp
You have to have confidence. You stand up and say, "I'm going to roll a 20." It's all about the confidence.

He walks around his chair, then all but slams the die onto the table with a forceul roll.

We were laughing in surprise as he just sat down and smiled, "It's all about the confidence".
Very nice!

Ktulu
One of my favorites recently happened. We were playing a farewell game. My oldest friend, who also happens to be my oldest gaming buddy, was moving out of town and wouldn't be playing with us much, if at all, anymore.

We're plowing through a fight with zombies in a curch and his barbarian goes down. Fails death save 1. No healing is left. Fails death save 2. We're starting to think this is going to be a downer of a game. He comes around to death save 3, stands up, and delivers this little speech:

Corp
You have to have confidence. You stand up and say, "I'm going to roll a 20." It's all about the confidence.

He walks around his chair, then all but slams the die onto the table with a forceul roll.

We were laughing in surprise as he just sat down and smiled, "It's all about the confidence".

1e campaign, early on - low level characters and some new players. Party is steaming ahead through corridors, feeling invincible, making lots of noise. Leaders of the party kick open the door in front of them and are promptly clawed by ghouls, rendering the Cleric, the Paladin and the Ranger paralysed. That's basically the muscle of the entire party, plus any holy defenses we might have had.

The remaining characters back away horrified- it looks like TPK for sure. We'll never be able to take these guys. There are higher-level undead among them too. Then the Mage in the back row realises he's wearing a phylactery of action on his arm. "What good is this doing me?" he asks, and gestures to the Rogue, who takes the hint. Running past the Mage and grabbing the phylactery, he attempts a tumble past the ongoing mêlée and slaps it onto the arm of the otherwise unharmed Cleric.

A short discussion about how the phylactery should work - whether the user needs to do anything to activate it, etc - and a second saving throw, and the Cleric is back up and cracking heads! The rest of the party are returned to action by turns, and thanks to some clever diversionary tactics by the non-fighters (a.k.a. hitching their robes and running away, sending half of the monsters off in pursuit), the party returns once again from the brink...

All of which which does nothing to cure our false sense of invincibility.
*bump*
*bump* again... I love reading stuff!
Ok, so this happened many many years ago...but such as it is.

It was during a FR campaign that I was running where one of my players had received a "luck blade" in 3rd edition, basically the weapon had a wish concealed inside of it but the player did not know what the swords true purpose was.

In any event there we were sitting around the game table when a different one of my players was talking about a funny story referencing a dnd situation in where a guy in a different gaming group was granted three wishes from saving a beautiful female psion princess from certain clutches of an evil dragon; story as follows.

[Quote]The first wish the knight asked for was a vast amount of wealth...and so the female psion waved her hand and a treasury fit for a king was bestowed upon the knight. His second wish was that he had a beautiful women fall head over heels in love with him, and so the psion became devoted to the knight and promised to love him and no other...finally seeing nothing else that he could ever want for in the world he said "Gee honey, I wish you would make me a ham sandwich." To which the psion turned the knight into a ham sandwich.

After hearing the story, the player with the "luck blade" laughed uproariously and stated; "ha ha ha, that is so funny! I wish you would make me a ham sandwich!" ...and so; our player was turned into a ham sandwich and soon thereafter devoured by yet another one of our more retarded gaming companions.

The expression on his face when everybody sitting at the gaming table (everybody but him knew what the sword did) was priceless, I had to leave the room because I was laughing so hard it was hard to breathe....good times.

~~~~

Another story that I heard about but was not present for was the infamous bed scene;

So two characters are looking for a secret door in the kings bedroom. While doing so (and failing at it) a guard happens upon them both, and at this point both players are now on the kings bed throwing sheets and pillows everywhere, trying to figure out where this secret door is.

Having noticed that they were spotted the rogue pulls out a throwing dagger and attempts to subdue the guard (by killing him) however the rogue rolls a natural one and completely misses the guard throwing his dagger in a random direction. The guard now completely baffled by this whole experience is getting close to pulling out his sword and dispatching the two players..until the quick thinking rogue throws out this awesome little quip.

"Now that the royal ceremony is finished...would you care to join us on the royal bed?"

(it should be noted that the non rogue player was at this point also attempting to impersonate the king)

The guard was so confused and appalled at this point that he left the scene. I'm still unsure whether or not those two found the secret door or not.
We did. Unfortunately, the guard came back with reinforcements and we were chased through the secret passage and had to fight our way out of the castle. Good times.
Pointer-left Question_mark_rainbow_gradient_fill_thumb
Ric
Being brought down by some sly theif mage monkish assassin elf, he being a party member... Me just stupid Barbarian lumick, with trick learned from childhood called playin possum .... He gloated over my dead body, my blood pouring out; he searching my body for magic items..... Me crushing he throat, me making sure he not playin possum, allways remove head from body....Jubal happy!
To see a fellow player pack up and leave in such a DISTRAUGHT state of mind is truly a wonderfull way too show meekness!
[/SPOILER]
← Previous 1 2 Next →