Screen Real Estate

Is it possible to widen the screen real estate? Currently half of the screen width is taken up by dead space due to the vertical strips on the left and right of the main column. This will help not having to scroll so much as now the sentences can fill a larger horizontal space.
I have a 24 inch and a 21 inch, and I would love more room to write in. I know there are plenty of gamers out there with bigger monitors than mine. Also, having a wallpaper that can stretch or auto-trim to fit comfortably on various sized screens would be nice. Not essential, but nice!
+ 1
I'll have to take this up with our designer. Also, we would need to examine the stats on our site visits. We do keep track of screen size and resolution which should help determine if most of our users can view a larger page.
This would be a major overhaul of the site, though. So I can't promise it'll happen anytime soon. However, there have been efforts to add support for mobile browsers, which involves changing the layout a bit. There may be an opportunity at that point to address this. I'll keep an eye out for it.
Pointer-left Kfpanda2_thumb
Dan
+1 to increase the usable screen width.
Pointer-left Eye_thumb
Ana
Seconded.

Related to this I would also like to ask for the list of revisions in a wiki to be moved below the actual page. You rarely need them and right now they eat up over 200 pixels of horizontal space. It's like reading an overly long receipt right now.
Ana
Seconded.

Related to this I would also like to ask for the list of revisions in a wiki to be moved below the actual page. You rarely need them and right now they eat up over 200 pixels of horizontal space. It's like reading an overly long receipt right now.

I like that suggestion. I suspect that the revision history is less useful than we originally anticipated. It should probably be hidden from view unless someone goes looking for it.