Does size matter?

← Previous 1 2 Next →
I play AD&D 1E and the bigger the group the better the game goes. But for something like White Wolf, you only need 2 or 3 players.
Nice answer! Very old school! The largest group of 1e or 2e I ever ran was 15-16 players and it was crazy.

Regards

Oh, I got a new word, Gnome!

DM Vincent
I play AD&D 1E and the bigger the group the better the game goes. But for something like White Wolf, you only need 2 or 3 players.

Honestly I've stayed away from D&D since 08, but the largest group I've seen in person was 12 (myself included) play-testing new Ravenloft material for TSR. My brother is/was apart of a World of Darkness L.A.R.P. with 55+ players... God only knows how many characters, and I've been apart of a pbp involving 200+ writers, almost all of whom wrote for multiple characters.

Personally I favor the World of Darkness system and like to keep the character count low. My first pick is always my brother, followed by whoever his interested friends are at the time, up to four maybe five characters. Perhaps its because of the systems structure, but it just feels like the stories are more personal and there is greater character depth with less effort.
My experiences is with WoD, is the more players, the worse the game is. Unless its the LARP, then the more the better.
I generally play with four players and a GM (mostly because that's all the friends I have that RP :).

We've been playing Dark Heresy and Call of Cthulhu, with M&M on the horizon. (And Warhammer Fantasy 3e if the GM for that game is ever ready...).

For us this group size seems to be perfect; enough people to bounce around ideas (we generally have more investigation than combat), combat goes quickly, and scenarios are easy to adjust for the number of party members.
When playing with a Virtual Table Top, the more players the easier it is to miss what players are doing for their turn and the longer combat takes because someone will forget it's their turn or tell everyone they're done. I find 4 to be the best size with a balanced group, but 5 is doable. I really notice the slow down at 6 and the story goes much slower.
I'm running a Pathfinder game and we have 5 people in the party. With this particular group it's usually fine, although it is difficult to rein in the off-topic chatter sometimes, and it can become /very/ chaotic when the group splits off to do different things. People end up waiting 5-10 minutes before they even get to do anything, and if 3 of the five get in a combat by themselves, the others can find themselves bored. For that reason, I'd say 3-4 is probably the ideal size.
← Previous 1 2 Next →