Icon_swordpin The next big thing

Poll

317 answers so far...

• What feature do you want to see next?
    • Loot - Weight
      • BrotherPaulos fayteri deespell888 mclannok Stride Acid aerine jennanorm Rev DamonGriffin Halv5 NikosBlu Lhynard ChadAS FlamingNinja173 drgary1 the_ever_cynic Elliz 18 votes
    • Loot - Multiple currencies
      • nazimkaraca neofax Euberon dingolove zibbitz flearok f1arion derclarke TaoThorne Deverash lawngnome4hire 11 votes
    • Better mobile browser support
      • admin Lalato Frost Ktulu jasales alkathor Latmorril Jack99 Widget824 theothergretchen Greyson Lawjick b_v chaosbleeds Bayvek_dnd Neostrider TonyF1330 Mirasiel ItsMeYask AmbushXXVI babyj eugene Voxen RPGuru annabunches zarik Impulse Tevin_Moonbane Felan sidomar Yuzzum BuckBackup zerontikara Jefiet theblackpumpkin alagondar srjearth22002 jared112390 DailinNailo baronkev cmasters subrosas smithereen moon_wizard corinos cpttjk HiroTsukasa Ankou Sebas310 etklaus MisterAdam coastiemike UrsusMimas studmuffin58 Malak LarryBorpins okstate 57 votes
    • Games seeking players/Players seeking games
      • smiruz bloodymage tkd2019 Demiurge rbonner Kingpin mbeacom Bkwrm88 Kiwigm Dopey mr_roboto eros_wind ripcrd Gabrielhock cellis17 Overlord AVacc DM_James iON DooM mashcamo RinVindor fenix1989uk tacoscheap markeades1 TreeLicker Friar_Zer0 Taratajum jozbun Tassatir sidescroller99 Shirra_Whitefur Red_Faced_Warrior Valtyra KnightNin kshadow71 Sentsas 37 votes
    • Custom in-game calendars
      • zarffyn apoore1 dmwarmock Louis kmhudson jacobz_20 senia Nikosandros Mournblade94 JoeOutside Phloid Killian Crinita LordOnyx Vodoo bmcdaniel Kraft_mj Ranger Shoe Thag13 krogren CoryLehan MaxKaladin Kiban SunkenMind ptownsend1990 Raszul charliebell Wortnes Thane SpaceyCraig dirtyshamrock13 Spikeyboots Dremord catthu iddlebit DD_8630 Wrairi Linguz Erinwithans FortyFaced aquarianibis Ablefish 43 votes
    • Dynamic Character Sheets
      • gondolin1 UndeadDan Thr33 Ayradyss graylion scranford Nefiron morkalg GM_TUBBER DanB tburke0 imthedci LordNikon fozzie1410 Nhytewulf JonathanDBates Blackfoot nixxon scriptninja pfjake11 Kyobei Finn Ravenborn Clawstorm23 bondosan Mightyblue Dunelord3001 striker442 Ana Loge bookwyrm fiddlerjones reluctantcynic cobalt143 Blazeguard ilnira vann_meow Damocles greedyjujo GoSteelers BetaSprite lordkowl docplutonium lunaras Xorial Havok arris138 wolphen AthorAtlan Shotzu Amishacker ayronc guuthulhu shebaden Resolveisgreat CassidyB cydthemagi wallywampa PaoliMark Aladorn Gamemeister_nz Orko wyrmgear TechnoMook akira plothos shellstorm LaisAlvitos KanusBlackmoore Shifty-eyed Final_Instar Tarranium QuietMre Jentori oneliness thud DMGW Dyrewolff Rakuen bsobol1 Raynman hobgoblinLord Arayth fantell laughingnell Endante ponds555 Smittyman Casca972 crystalattice Ragerider w00t tron842 Liq KelavaM Moes1980 gunarbastos spoonymog Bedlam66 bsanderfer marijanestrolla Drommon Jimbo_McRackem skulltaker askmeaboutloom Kadaga adidancewest Force2Reckon FauxRizzle Chiefbloodhoof dmalexb miragellewyn PhilGamer MadDoc wramsay Gigglebottle Scarage Gin-German 118 votes
    • Tighter integration of Gaming Groups to Campaigns
      • vvildcard Squach aseixas abellius wulfram the-truthseeker Malgus DungeonMaster Dweyhell Lorne BretticusRex 11 votes
    • Daily email digests
      • daichiasuka Arithon32 aliasmask tehjburz Inanna 5 votes
I agree. And after all the talk of trying to re-unite the industry somewhat, they have a division before the project even launches. Hopefully it was over something stupid, like money, which won't affect the game much.... ::crosses fingers::

James
Wow I am a big supporter of Monte and said from the beginning that Monte would only put his signature on a project if he agrees. I have a lot of respect for him.

I will still explore D&D Next with all efforts, however this already starts a cloud of suspect. I have high hopes for the next edition.

Regards

Brendan
Monte Cook is out, BTW.... I think they really have most of the game together, but at the very least it's not good PR for the new product....

http://montecook.livejournal.com/251404.html

I concur. I still have high hopes for the game and will give it due consideration when it comes out, but Monte's participation was one of the things that made me most optimistic. That said, I think that the basic game is already figured out and the overarching design goals have firmly been established, so there's still hope.

James
Wow I am a big supporter of Monte and said from the beginning that Monte would only put his signature on a project if he agrees. I have a lot of respect for him.

I will still explore D&D Next with all efforts, however this already starts a cloud of suspect. I have high hopes for the next edition.

Regards

Brendan
Monte Cook is out, BTW.... I think they really have most of the game together, but at the very least it's not good PR for the new product....

http://montecook.livejournal.com/251404.html

Pointer-left 1094917_thumb
Sam
Just changed mine back to mobile support. I've come to realize that I don't need an online character sheet. Would I use it if it was there, sure, but what I really need right now is a site that is easy to use on my phone. I find myself checking forum posts quite a bit on my phone, and since the forum here can't support something like Tapatalk the experience isn't as good as it could be on a small device.

If I were to list my top enhancements in order of preference it would be...

1. Better mobile browser support
2. Gift Subscriptions/Accounts (not listed above)
3. Loot enhancements (some not listed above, but are in other threads)
4. Custom in-game calendars

Note the lack of dynamic character sheets, and the inclusion of some items not currently on the list. Beyond that, I would love to see more incremental improvements to the campaign tools overall. There are some things that are obscure and could use some UI enhancements to make them more clear.
Epic!
Back to the priorities discussion.

Bob
Huh... I feel that that whole line of reasoning is kind of silly. I mean, if we put off the features that are desired because they take more time than features that are not as desired, wouldn't we just end up with a bunch of really simple tools that no one wants to use?
I don't think that's a fair characterization of what Brendan and I are saying. The other features have a decent amount of votes, and many are interested in them. So it's completely false that "no one wants to use" them. It's just that this poll allows only one vote, so many are voting for the coolest, flashiest option. And I wholly agree, having dynamic character sheets would be freakin' awesome.

But it simply may not be feasible on a shorter timeline. Say it takes (an arbitrary number) 1000 hours of work to implement dynamic character sheets. Say it takes 20 hours to implement one of the other popular features. What should we do first?

This issue might be clarified by a voting system that allows each voter to vote multiple times. If we each had three or five votes, then I bet some of the options that you don't think are popular would certainly rise in popularity.

Terry
Personally, I would rather they weigh the crowdsourcing to actual ability to create a revenue stream.
Now this is a very valid argument. If dynamic character sheets can create more revenue for EpicWords, that would be awesome. My guess is that it might create a small amount of extra revenue, but there are a few pretty functional free character sheet websites, so that will significantly cut into potential earnings. But that's just my opinion.
Epic!
Sam
I'm not sure character sheets are the deciding factor for someone buying a subscription to EpicWords. It's already fabulously priced for the functionality you get. If people are on the fence it's likely that they already get everything they need from the free version... and no amount of new functionality will get them off the fence. I mean, if I only have one or two active characters in active campaigns, I probably never need to upgrade.

I suppose an option is to make the dynamic sheets a subscriber only option. Another is to offer certain items on the site via micro-payments... so if I have one character I'm all good for free, but if I want a second character with a dynamic character sheet I'll have to pony up a $1. Another option is to have a player's subscription that gives you only access to dynamic character sheets and other player/character related options on the site. Charge half the price of the GM subscription rate.

Those are ways one could try and monetize it, but as others have said... there are other sites that offer character sheets for free... why pay for this one?

Sam
Also... with regard to items that take long dev cycles vs items that require short dev cycles. When you have limited resources, it's better to offer continual improvements to your core application than it is to offer new functionality over a long dev cycle.

That's not to say that offering new functionality is bad... just that when you have limited resources, offering new functionality may be detrimental to retaining your existing user base. Let's say, for example, that another website in this campaign management niche offers continuous improvements to their site... I'm more likely to see that as a site that I can support because I know that the site is actively supported.

However, if all I ever see is... wait 6 months until we deliver super awesome functionality X, but I see no other incremental improvements that fix bugs or give better UI, then I'm going to be less happy as those minor bugs become more and more annoying over time. In fact I might jump ship to another site because at least that other site is "actively" supported.

I'm not saying that our super awesome Admin can't handle both long term dev projects and short term ones at the same time. In fact, I'm confident that he can, but I think this poll kinda pushes the one project at a time mentality which is just wrong for a website like this. As a developer you have to combine short cycle dev items with long cycle dev items so that you are always offering improvements or new functionality.

Unfortunately, for EpicWords, there is competition out there. And people aren't all that loyal when it comes to websites. That said, I'm certain that our beloved Admin is up to the task. :)
Epic!
Pointer-left Orkglyph_thumb
Rob
Sam
...there are other sites that offer character sheets for free... why pay for this one?

Just out of curiosity, what other sites are out there that offer free character sheets?
Well, docs.google.com or private wikis (tiddlywiki.com is one of my favorites) could be easily be used to store character sheets online. But there are also many other ones, some more specialized, some multi-purpose. Here's what I found with a 10 minute google search:
  • iplay4e.appspot.com (currently integrated into epicwords).
  • http://theonlysheet.com/homepage/
  • http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetindex.php
  • www.thetangledweb.net/forums/content.php?114-character-sheets-for-rpg&s=1f84158d9a5f3fa71aabdffdabeefb38
  • http://forums.white-wolf.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=53192
  • http://www.infinitepersonae.com/
  • http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiStart
  • http://mrgone.rocksolidshells.com/
Epic × 3!
Nice list!
This is another reason I'm not as gung ho about dynamic character sheet here at epic words. Don't get me wrong: I love the idea. I just don't think it's such an urgent necessity. I'd rather have some of the other features listed in this thread implemented sooner.