Icon_swordpin The next big thing

Poll

317 answers so far...

• What feature do you want to see next?
    • Loot - Weight
      • BrotherPaulos fayteri deespell888 mclannok Stride Acid aerine jennanorm Rev DamonGriffin Halv5 NikosBlu Lhynard ChadAS FlamingNinja173 drgary1 the_ever_cynic Elliz 18 votes
    • Loot - Multiple currencies
      • nazimkaraca neofax Euberon dingolove zibbitz flearok f1arion derclarke TaoThorne Deverash lawngnome4hire 11 votes
    • Better mobile browser support
      • admin Lalato Frost Ktulu jasales alkathor Latmorril Jack99 Widget824 theothergretchen Greyson Lawjick b_v chaosbleeds Bayvek_dnd Neostrider TonyF1330 Mirasiel ItsMeYask AmbushXXVI babyj eugene Voxen RPGuru annabunches zarik Impulse Tevin_Moonbane Felan sidomar Yuzzum BuckBackup zerontikara Jefiet theblackpumpkin alagondar srjearth22002 jared112390 DailinNailo baronkev cmasters subrosas smithereen moon_wizard corinos cpttjk HiroTsukasa Ankou Sebas310 etklaus MisterAdam coastiemike UrsusMimas studmuffin58 Malak LarryBorpins okstate 57 votes
    • Games seeking players/Players seeking games
      • smiruz bloodymage tkd2019 Demiurge rbonner Kingpin mbeacom Bkwrm88 Kiwigm Dopey mr_roboto eros_wind ripcrd Gabrielhock cellis17 Overlord AVacc DM_James iON DooM mashcamo RinVindor fenix1989uk tacoscheap markeades1 TreeLicker Friar_Zer0 Taratajum jozbun Tassatir sidescroller99 Shirra_Whitefur Red_Faced_Warrior Valtyra KnightNin kshadow71 Sentsas 37 votes
    • Custom in-game calendars
      • zarffyn apoore1 dmwarmock Louis kmhudson jacobz_20 senia Nikosandros Mournblade94 JoeOutside Phloid Killian Crinita LordOnyx Vodoo bmcdaniel Kraft_mj Ranger Shoe Thag13 krogren CoryLehan MaxKaladin Kiban SunkenMind ptownsend1990 Raszul charliebell Wortnes Thane SpaceyCraig dirtyshamrock13 Spikeyboots Dremord catthu iddlebit DD_8630 Wrairi Linguz Erinwithans FortyFaced aquarianibis Ablefish 43 votes
    • Dynamic Character Sheets
      • gondolin1 UndeadDan Thr33 Ayradyss graylion scranford Nefiron morkalg GM_TUBBER DanB tburke0 imthedci LordNikon fozzie1410 Nhytewulf JonathanDBates Blackfoot nixxon scriptninja pfjake11 Kyobei Finn Ravenborn Clawstorm23 bondosan Mightyblue Dunelord3001 striker442 Ana Loge bookwyrm fiddlerjones reluctantcynic cobalt143 Blazeguard ilnira vann_meow Damocles greedyjujo GoSteelers BetaSprite lordkowl docplutonium lunaras Xorial Havok arris138 wolphen AthorAtlan Shotzu Amishacker ayronc guuthulhu shebaden Resolveisgreat CassidyB cydthemagi wallywampa PaoliMark Aladorn Gamemeister_nz Orko wyrmgear TechnoMook akira plothos shellstorm LaisAlvitos KanusBlackmoore Shifty-eyed Final_Instar Tarranium QuietMre Jentori oneliness thud DMGW Dyrewolff Rakuen bsobol1 Raynman hobgoblinLord Arayth fantell laughingnell Endante ponds555 Smittyman Casca972 crystalattice Ragerider w00t tron842 Liq KelavaM Moes1980 gunarbastos spoonymog Bedlam66 bsanderfer marijanestrolla Drommon Jimbo_McRackem skulltaker askmeaboutloom Kadaga adidancewest Force2Reckon FauxRizzle Chiefbloodhoof dmalexb miragellewyn PhilGamer MadDoc wramsay Gigglebottle Scarage Gin-German 118 votes
    • Tighter integration of Gaming Groups to Campaigns
      • vvildcard Squach aseixas abellius wulfram the-truthseeker Malgus DungeonMaster Dweyhell Lorne BretticusRex 11 votes
    • Daily email digests
      • daichiasuka Arithon32 aliasmask tehjburz Inanna 5 votes
I keep trying to vote but it takes me to the page were sorry something went wrong. same when i try to fan my campaign members or they make additions...but my vote would be mobile support that would help TONS
I realize that bugs are going to be prioritized over any new features as they should be. But I still wanted to mention something on here for when it eventually comes up. What is meant by custom in game calendars? Does that mean for the setting, like "Year 2345 of the second sun" or does it mean creating a custom play calendar for scheduling? I have a player who mentioned the ability to create an ical feed that he could put in his calendar so that when I schedule a game, it will automatically update his calendar. That would be pretty cool.
Michael
I realize that bugs are going to be prioritized over any new features as they should be. But I still wanted to mention something on here for when it eventually comes up. What is meant by custom in game calendars? Does that mean for the setting, like "Year 2345 of the second sun" or does it mean creating a custom play calendar for scheduling? I have a player who mentioned the ability to create an ical feed that he could put in his calendar so that when I schedule a game, it will automatically update his calendar. That would be pretty cool.

There is an ical feature in the current Campaign Calendar, if that helps. Once a game time is scheduled, there is a link that will send you an ical appointment. It's not a feed, but the system will send email reminders - you can even pick when the reminders are sent.

I think what Michael is talking about is a calendar for within the game world.

I tried to make one for my own campaign using the Wikis. It could use some work, but this was the best I could do:
http://www.epicwords.com/wikis/25938
I would like to see forums that can be made password protected, so only certain players can access

I want to have areas that only certain players will get access to... Like a "journal" or forum which will act as private NPC conversation, info that they know, or their 'secret diary'
There are a lot of things on my wish list but here's the top "feature" I want:

I want the site to work. I want messages to my forums to post when I click submit, I want polls to not throw an error, I want the loot and xp sections to work without throwing errors when they encounter something unexpected. I want the links in the emails for the calendar to actually do something.

I really love this site but I feel like we're all on a rickety old tub with leaks popping up all over and we're talking about wanting to get a new horn or fancy radar. First priority must be fixing the leaky boat and that means a rewrite of the site in a modern code, preferably C#.net which is perfectly suited to the needs of this site. Simply by switching to C#.net we would have a more stable, easier to maintain, dynamic, powerful, modern site capable of doing anything we can imagine.

If this site is written in one of the languages I think it is fixing it is a waste of time. You'd spend a huge amount of time and effort fixing it and the real problem, the underlying technology, would still be there. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to work on a page in the loot tab and not have to wait for it to reload after every entry or not load and just give you some meaningless error? So my vote (which by the way I can't vote because the forum polls are busted) is to rewrite the site in a modern language.

If we could get the bugs on the site fixed then people would be willing to pay more to join. I know that while I love only paying 12 a year I would be more than willing to pay the same amount as obsidian portal for Epic Words if it worked reliably and had a responsive owner or manager. This site has more value but it's like a 1985 Lincoln Towncar, replete with features but not exactly something people want to pay money for anymore.
You're right about a lot. I don't care about the "modern language". I think this site is in Ruby. I expect the operator to write it in a language he or she is familiar with. This is more hobby than a business for the guy I'm sure. Sadly, he's not been around much. I've gotten so used to the features on this site I could never go to Obsidian portal which is little more than a wiki with nice design and fantasy imagery. I'll be sad when I come to this site and get a 404 error because it has disappeared. But I won't be surprised. It's mostly abandoned as it is.
Michael
You're right about a lot. I don't care about the "modern language". I think this site is in Ruby. I expect the operator to write it in a language he or she is familiar with. This is more hobby than a business for the guy I'm sure. Sadly, he's not been around much. I've gotten so used to the features on this site I could never go to Obsidian portal which is little more than a wiki with nice design and fantasy imagery. I'll be sad when I come to this site and get a 404 error because it has disappeared. But I won't be surprised. It's mostly abandoned as it is.

A modern language is important for modern features, security, and maintainability. I doubt this site is written in Ruby, my guess is possibly PHP but there's no way to tell for certain without asking the programmer. If it's Ruby, or another modern language, it's very poorly implemented, no offense intended to the designer. As far as writing the site in a language the programmer is familiar with, all I can say is that modern programmers know a plethora of languages and you choose the one that is right for the job. If you know one language it's very easy to pick up another one.

You're right that this is probably more of a hobby, like being a DM. Unfortunately, the DM has stopped showing up for games quite some time ago and we just all sit around trying to make the best of it. It may be a hobby but its inconsiderate to invite people over to your house to play a game and then not even bother to show up yourself because, "It's just a hobby."

Obsidian Portal is a beautifully designed site but as you said, it's completely devoid of the features of Epic Words I've come to love. I'm hoping that the owner of the site will realize that he's no longer interested in running the site and hands it off to someone willing to invest the time necessary to keep things up and working properly. I really hope that he doesn't let the ship sink with all hands aboard.
I'm not excusing his absence because it's a hobby, I'm saying you won't do much good coming on here and telling someone how to code something they're coding as a hobby. He'll use the code he prefers and I'm fine with that. I just wish he would pop in now and then and say hi and fix some of the more common errors. For the most part it still works fine for me, but there are several updates/changes/fixes he said he would do that he has yet to complete. I understand life can get in the way when it's not your money making venture though so I'm patient, but it's been years like this. Unfortunately, there's no where else to go.

However, I like your ideas and just as soon as you implement them you can count on my $12 per year to support you. Just let me know when it's done.

Also, we've tried to offer help with several people willing to VOLUNTEER to do some maintenance and fixes and he's never really responded to the offers.

Michael
I'm not excusing his absence because it's a hobby, I'm saying you won't do much good coming on here and telling someone how to code something they're coding as a hobby. He'll use the code he prefers and I'm fine with that. I just wish he would pop in now and then and say hi and fix some of the more common errors. For the most part it still works fine for me, but there are several updates/changes/fixes he said he would do that he has yet to complete. I understand life can get in the way when it's not your money making venture though so I'm patient, but it's been years like this. Unfortunately, there's no where else to go.

However, I like your ideas and just as soon as you implement them you can count on my $12 per year to support you. Just let me know when it's done.

Also, we've tried to offer help with several people willing to VOLUNTEER to do some maintenance and fixes and he's never really responded to the offers.

I didn't realize that was how I was coming across. It was not what I intended to convey. I brought up the coding because the site is in such a state that it would take a major effort to modernize it and repair the damage. It would, in my opinion, be a simpler, more efficient option to rewrite the entire site in a more maintainable code. I didn't mean to come across that I was attacking you or the owner and if that's how I came across I apologize.

I was not aware that other people had offered to help out or take over the site. That's kind of sad. It wouldn't be too terribly hard to reproduce this site. Right now I'm nearing the end of my school program and I really, really don't have time (I forget to brush sometimes ;P ) but I have thought about doing it once I get out on my own. Thanks for the pledge of support. I'll do my best to get something up this summer.

This is a truly great tool for playing rpgs. It will be a shame to loose it but I can't even post messages to my campaigns forum anymore so the site is quickly loosing its charm. :(