Icon_swordpin The next big thing

Poll

317 answers so far...

• What feature do you want to see next?
    • Loot - Weight
      • BrotherPaulos fayteri deespell888 mclannok Stride Acid aerine jennanorm Rev DamonGriffin Halv5 NikosBlu Lhynard ChadAS FlamingNinja173 drgary1 the_ever_cynic Elliz 18 votes
    • Loot - Multiple currencies
      • nazimkaraca neofax Euberon dingolove zibbitz flearok f1arion derclarke TaoThorne Deverash lawngnome4hire 11 votes
    • Better mobile browser support
      • admin Lalato Frost Ktulu jasales alkathor Latmorril Jack99 Widget824 theothergretchen Greyson Lawjick b_v chaosbleeds Bayvek_dnd Neostrider TonyF1330 Mirasiel ItsMeYask AmbushXXVI babyj eugene Voxen RPGuru annabunches zarik Impulse Tevin_Moonbane Felan sidomar Yuzzum BuckBackup zerontikara Jefiet theblackpumpkin alagondar srjearth22002 jared112390 DailinNailo baronkev cmasters subrosas smithereen moon_wizard corinos cpttjk HiroTsukasa Ankou Sebas310 etklaus MisterAdam coastiemike UrsusMimas studmuffin58 Malak LarryBorpins okstate 57 votes
    • Games seeking players/Players seeking games
      • smiruz bloodymage tkd2019 Demiurge rbonner Kingpin mbeacom Bkwrm88 Kiwigm Dopey mr_roboto eros_wind ripcrd Gabrielhock cellis17 Overlord AVacc DM_James iON DooM mashcamo RinVindor fenix1989uk tacoscheap markeades1 TreeLicker Friar_Zer0 Taratajum jozbun Tassatir sidescroller99 Shirra_Whitefur Red_Faced_Warrior Valtyra KnightNin kshadow71 Sentsas 37 votes
    • Custom in-game calendars
      • zarffyn apoore1 dmwarmock Louis kmhudson jacobz_20 senia Nikosandros Mournblade94 JoeOutside Phloid Killian Crinita LordOnyx Vodoo bmcdaniel Kraft_mj Ranger Shoe Thag13 krogren CoryLehan MaxKaladin Kiban SunkenMind ptownsend1990 Raszul charliebell Wortnes Thane SpaceyCraig dirtyshamrock13 Spikeyboots Dremord catthu iddlebit DD_8630 Wrairi Linguz Erinwithans FortyFaced aquarianibis Ablefish 43 votes
    • Dynamic Character Sheets
      • gondolin1 UndeadDan Thr33 Ayradyss graylion scranford Nefiron morkalg GM_TUBBER DanB tburke0 imthedci LordNikon fozzie1410 Nhytewulf JonathanDBates Blackfoot nixxon scriptninja pfjake11 Kyobei Finn Ravenborn Clawstorm23 bondosan Mightyblue Dunelord3001 striker442 Ana Loge bookwyrm fiddlerjones reluctantcynic cobalt143 Blazeguard ilnira vann_meow Damocles greedyjujo GoSteelers BetaSprite lordkowl docplutonium lunaras Xorial Havok arris138 wolphen AthorAtlan Shotzu Amishacker ayronc guuthulhu shebaden Resolveisgreat CassidyB cydthemagi wallywampa PaoliMark Aladorn Gamemeister_nz Orko wyrmgear TechnoMook akira plothos shellstorm LaisAlvitos KanusBlackmoore Shifty-eyed Final_Instar Tarranium QuietMre Jentori oneliness thud DMGW Dyrewolff Rakuen bsobol1 Raynman hobgoblinLord Arayth fantell laughingnell Endante ponds555 Smittyman Casca972 crystalattice Ragerider w00t tron842 Liq KelavaM Moes1980 gunarbastos spoonymog Bedlam66 bsanderfer marijanestrolla Drommon Jimbo_McRackem skulltaker askmeaboutloom Kadaga adidancewest Force2Reckon FauxRizzle Chiefbloodhoof dmalexb miragellewyn PhilGamer MadDoc wramsay Gigglebottle Scarage Gin-German 118 votes
    • Tighter integration of Gaming Groups to Campaigns
      • vvildcard Squach aseixas abellius wulfram the-truthseeker Malgus DungeonMaster Dweyhell Lorne BretticusRex 11 votes
    • Daily email digests
      • daichiasuka Arithon32 aliasmask tehjburz Inanna 5 votes
Honestly, I don't know that 'modern' means better. This site has better features than other more 'modern' sites out there. I've gotten a lot of use out of it myself. Do I wish it had a few things polished a bit? Sure. Is it a bummer that the Admin seems to have taken a leave of absence? Sure. I take it for what it is .. as it is .. and am happy with it.
Epic!
Charles
Michael
I'm not excusing his absence because it's a hobby, I'm saying you won't do much good coming on here and telling someone how to code something they're coding as a hobby. He'll use the code he prefers and I'm fine with that. I just wish he would pop in now and then and say hi and fix some of the more common errors. For the most part it still works fine for me, but there are several updates/changes/fixes he said he would do that he has yet to complete. I understand life can get in the way when it's not your money making venture though so I'm patient, but it's been years like this. Unfortunately, there's no where else to go.

However, I like your ideas and just as soon as you implement them you can count on my $12 per year to support you. Just let me know when it's done.

Also, we've tried to offer help with several people willing to VOLUNTEER to do some maintenance and fixes and he's never really responded to the offers.

I didn't realize that was how I was coming across. It was not what I intended to convey. I brought up the coding because the site is in such a state that it would take a major effort to modernize it and repair the damage. It would, in my opinion, be a simpler, more efficient option to rewrite the entire site in a more maintainable code. I didn't mean to come across that I was attacking you or the owner and if that's how I came across I apologize.

I was not aware that other people had offered to help out or take over the site. That's kind of sad. It wouldn't be too terribly hard to reproduce this site. Right now I'm nearing the end of my school program and I really, really don't have time (I forget to brush sometimes ;P ) but I have thought about doing it once I get out on my own. Thanks for the pledge of support. I'll do my best to get something up this summer.

This is a truly great tool for playing rpgs. It will be a shame to loose it but I can't even post messages to my campaigns forum anymore so the site is quickly loosing its charm. :(

I appreciate the clarifications because your previous posts were coming off as bossy and condescending. I believe you that you didn't mean it that way. I've been around here for years and I can say the creator and his wife/girlfriend are both super nice people and have been very helpful in the past. I honestly believe their lives have just probably changed and now this place has fallen off their radar. So I consider myself lucky they leave it up at all. I personally can't replicate this site as it sounds like you can. So I don't have any other options. If you're able to make a site like this, as good or better, you'll get my money so fast. And I think many other peoples as well.
Michael
Charles
Michael
I'm not excusing his absence because it's a hobby, I'm saying you won't do much good coming on here and telling someone how to code something they're coding as a hobby. He'll use the code he prefers and I'm fine with that. I just wish he would pop in now and then and say hi and fix some of the more common errors. For the most part it still works fine for me, but there are several updates/changes/fixes he said he would do that he has yet to complete. I understand life can get in the way when it's not your money making venture though so I'm patient, but it's been years like this. Unfortunately, there's no where else to go.

However, I like your ideas and just as soon as you implement them you can count on my $12 per year to support you. Just let me know when it's done.

Also, we've tried to offer help with several people willing to VOLUNTEER to do some maintenance and fixes and he's never really responded to the offers.

I didn't realize that was how I was coming across. It was not what I intended to convey. I brought up the coding because the site is in such a state that it would take a major effort to modernize it and repair the damage. It would, in my opinion, be a simpler, more efficient option to rewrite the entire site in a more maintainable code. I didn't mean to come across that I was attacking you or the owner and if that's how I came across I apologize.

I was not aware that other people had offered to help out or take over the site. That's kind of sad. It wouldn't be too terribly hard to reproduce this site. Right now I'm nearing the end of my school program and I really, really don't have time (I forget to brush sometimes ;P ) but I have thought about doing it once I get out on my own. Thanks for the pledge of support. I'll do my best to get something up this summer.

This is a truly great tool for playing rpgs. It will be a shame to loose it but I can't even post messages to my campaigns forum anymore so the site is quickly loosing its charm. :(

I appreciate the clarifications because your previous posts were coming off as bossy and condescending. I believe you that you didn't mean it that way. I've been around here for years and I can say the creator and his wife/girlfriend are both super nice people and have been very helpful in the past. I honestly believe their lives have just probably changed and now this place has fallen off their radar. So I consider myself lucky they leave it up at all. I personally can't replicate this site as it sounds like you can. So I don't have any other options. If you're able to make a site like this, as good or better, you'll get my money so fast. And I think many other peoples as well.

I was going for knowledgeable and concise so I guess I missed the mark a bit there. Sorry.
Blackfoot
Honestly, I don't know that 'modern' means better. This site has better features than other more 'modern' sites out there. I've gotten a lot of use out of it myself. Do I wish it had a few things polished a bit? Sure. Is it a bummer that the Admin seems to have taken a leave of absence? Sure. I take it for what it is .. as it is .. and am happy with it.

Sorry, I was using industry terms. Modern has a specific meaning relating to accessibility, maintainability, and security. Epic Words is an incredible tool and its clear no small amount of love went into its creation.
He's ALIVE!
I sent a private message to the Admin and got a response within 48 hours. Here is the exchange.
The exchange is below. Does anyone have skill with Ruby on Rails? It sounds like the project is just too daunting for him right now, but maybe some help would improve things?
Michael said:

This site is so great. There are people trying to give you money but it's not working. Even if you just pop in once every month for 10 minutes, it would do wonders. We really hope you are ok and not ill or unable in some way. Many here are willing to help and donate time and money to bring this place back to life. WE LOVE EPIC WORDS. PLEASE DON"T ABANDON IT.
Michael

Admin said:
I have no plans to abandon EW. Thank you for taking the time to poke me. I do need that every once in a while. I'm sorry I haven't responded to your earlier messages. I've been trying to formulate a better reply than this, but at this point I realize anything is better than silence.
As for help, I could definitely use help from someone with Ruby on Rails, and/or MySQL experience. Eventually, I would like to get the site to a point where I could delegate other work to volunteers, but I'm just not at that point right now. I do appreciate the offers of help! Thank you, again!
-Jonathan
Thanks, Michael!
Pointer-left No_img_thumb
Dan
Charles
It would, in my opinion, be a simpler, more efficient option to rewrite the entire site in a more maintainable code.

As a word of advice from someone who's probably just a few years ahead of you professionally... It's never as easy to do a rewrite as it seems when you start. I'm generally a big proponent of starting over fresh (I'm actually having that debate at work right now over one of our websites), but I've learned that rewrites often take just as long as it would have to work with what you have (presuming you're familiar with what's there). Admittedly, you'll probably end up with better code, since you can redesign it to handle all the things that got kludged into the old code, but it's still not going to be a quick or simple project.

-----------------

Michael
Admin said:
I have no plans to abandon EW. Thank you for taking the time to poke me. I do need that every once in a while. I'm sorry I haven't responded to your earlier messages. I've been trying to formulate a better reply than this, but at this point I realize anything is better than silence.

I know that feeling really well - that "I really need to respond somehow, but I've been putting it off so long..." feeling. My most up-to-date skills are with C# and Sql Server, but I'd be willing to pick up Ruby in order to help out.
Hello everyone,
Giving everyone a heads up. Admin is back in action. I know the community has slowly dwindled away but things are starting to pick up. I do hope many of the members return. I'm posting up a roll call for GM's to list active campaigns and number of active players. Let's see West kind of numbers we still here
Epic!
Here! One active campaign with 6 active players and 1 GM(ME!). Have 2 campaigns on hiatus with more or less the same group of players. Can't wait to see Admin once again stalking these halls! I never gave up hope. Ok, well maybe once. :)
One active campaign w/ 8 players, with recaps, wikis, calendars, maps, etc.