Neverwinter: Redemption of Ruin

← Previous 1

Greetings everyone,

The last Encounters session of D&D left me somewhat disheartened with the shallowness of the Neverwinter they allowed us players to explore. I can reason that it was done so in the interest of attracting the newest of players to the D&D universe and showcasing to them some of the highlights of the current edition, yet I feel there was much story depth that was lost, characters who weren’t properly explored or justified and just an overwhelming sense of railroading that a player couldn’t spit without it falling exactly where it was planned to hit the ground.

Thus, on Wednesday November 16th a group of bold adventurers were gathered to venture forth into Neverwinter. A tale of intrigue and suspense that was weaved that day will lead the players to the very depths of the cities charred and corrupted heart in order to redeem the Jewel of the North and find its salvation before it utterly falls into ruin.

I can only hope that others will find the stories entertaining and captivating and perhaps even in the end be inspired to run or be part of a Neverwinter campaign.

-Lostheir

The tale begins…
Neverwinter looms upon the brink of annihalation. Neverwinter needs heroes...

A young nobleman from Waterdeep is made aware of his lineage and is troubled by the weight of its burden. Is he the only hope for the future of a broken city?

A cursed paladin walks upon an arduous path, he attempts to protect the heir of a fallen bloodline and in doing so hopes to end the curse earned by his ancestor’s mistakes.

A dwarven merchant, who lost his kin during "the ruining" three decades prior, prepares to return to Neverwinter and seek the mythical city of his people at the behest of fallen relatives.

A young wood elf whose family was slaughtered and whose home was razed by unknown and seemingly ancient foes now seeks revenge even if it is with the assistance of a troubled organization that wants to see him dead.

A githzerai wanderer, made keeper to the wisdom of the god of knowledge Oghma, follows a path into the devastated city, where shadows and deceits linger overall like a poisoning miasma.

A plaguescarred tiefling grapples with the madness of the spell-plague and with the hysteria of a popultaion who rejects those who bear plague… even feeling the pain of betrayal by those whom he once considered blood brethren.

A reckless chill grips the fleeting wind passing through Neverwinter, change doth comes...

DM Notes:
Our first session now but a memory and the excitment of starting the campaign diminshed, I can breathe a sigh of relief. Although it wasn't easy. A first game shouldn't be an excercise in improvistion, unless of course that's your thing. I personally enjoy outlining my adventures and having a certain amount of expectation as to what could happen, yet after a chaotic weekend and a hectic week, I wasn;t able to plan accordingly. But I wasn't about to tell my players to cancel the game or postpone it for another day. I would have been dead man writing to you now... (O_O)

If I am alive I guess it means the game turned out okay. d(^_^d )

The players began introducing themselves to each other and discussing their connectionns to one another. After a run in with a tax collector in Fostgarth shoppe the players decided to start gathering information about Neverwinter to decide upon a course of action within the city.

DM Normally I would toss hooks to get the players going, but I decided to take a step back and allow the players to freely roam about the Protector's Enclave of Neverwinter and allow them to explore on thier own getting a sese of the city and it's inhabitants.

So the party split...

DM: NO!... I mean this could work.

After obtaining some information and meeting some NPCs a few of the party members met up and in a bit of obtaining more information decded to follow a lead in another part of the city -Black Lake District. One of the players, his character unknowingly heading in the opposite direction as his party, took a ferry back towards the docks where the adventure originated from Fostgarth shoppe. As he sat enticed by the humbling sounds of lapsing water a distant cry of battle could be heard as in a narrow alley his compaions were ambushed by members of the Dead Rat gang...

Splitting the party can work in situations like this: exploring a non-hostile environment, interacting with NPCs, shopping, and other situations where combat/traps are not expected. As long as everyone gets back to shouting distance once the action starts up again.

Also, who would want to join a gang called "Dead Rats"? I would worry about it being too prophetic. :P

Hold up! Wait a second... what the dingleberg do you mean by a substitute DM? Hey look at me I am pointing down here!

Session 2

DM Notes:
I didn't DM. Sadly due to a prior engagement that required my presance I wasn't able to DM this week. **sniffle sniffle** Yet, there is light at the end of the tunnel... a backup DM! Although I haven't been RPing for a multitude of years like most of the peeps on these boards, I will say the best wisdom I ever got from a fellow DM was "always have a backup person to DM in case you can't."
Now, I enjoy the oppurtunity to DM... a lot. I will be honest I covet my position, sometimes so much that I believe that without me the game couldn't continue. NAY! Shouldn't continue.
Yet, even in all of my insane trips for power, I realize that wouldn't be realistic.

So I got a back up DM.

Thus the game continued on. And I only partially hope feel as though I betrayed my players and my story. Thinking about it I worry more about my story, the players would have probably ripped it to shreads...

What have I done? (O_O)

Just teasing. :)

To the game!

So, about the game. I wasn't there. From what I understand the party met up with a Monk, the monk guided the Elf back on the ferry to where he had just come from, making this the third trip across the lake. A battle ensued between the players and the Deadrats and the elf and Monk. A bard was in the mix as well...
Dead Rat gang members are dead.
Two players contracted the Deadrat fever.

And alls well at the moment... for the moment.
Muhahahaha!

Admin
Also, who would want to join a gang called "Dead Rats"? I would worry about it being too prophetic. :P

The Dead Rabbits were an actual street gang in Manhattan in the mid-19th century, and an offshoot of the "Roach Guards". So the name is (at least to me) somewhat evocative of the very dangerous street gangs of that era, and thus at least plausible.

There is some (highly disputed) scholarship suggesting that "Dead Rabbits" was a very peculiar corruption of the words "dead" (in a slang sense meaning 'very') and "raibead" (which is asserted to have been Gaelic slang for "person to be feared"). To the best of my knowledge, though, that explanation for the name is considered to be unlikely, and instead the gang members simply chose the name "Dead Rabbits" for reasons that remain obscure.

Orcs are coming! The orcs are coming!
Session 3-4

DM Notes:
**Sorry for the interruption, yet everything was blurred during the holiday season... too much egg-nog perhaps? :P**

So the heroes find themselves in the tavern of the Madame Rosene, known as Driftwood. The companions go about and do their "thing" (exp. the Bard sings for money, the Monk meditates in a corner, the vampire ponders who she will eat from next...) whilest the lost heir heads over to have a meeting with Madame Rosene. The tavern is empty except for a few patrons, of note a group of rowdy dwarves who speak of the greatness of Neverwinter in yesteryears and their displeasure of Neverember and a phalanx of Dragonborn who sit off in a quiet corner minding their business.

Through the door a commotion arouses everyone's attetion as two gnome attendings of Madame Rosene appear, they shout for assistance being that they were ambushed by orcs and one of their own was taken by said orcs. The heroes rise to the moment! Even though the vampire thought the gnomes would make a nice little snack before hitting the road.

So the orcs, known to attack in great numbers, presents a challenge to the party, being that most of their members are out on vacation. The players being clever opt to gain the support of the Dwarves and the Dragonborn. Thegroup is really enjoying this idea as they can start establishing allies.

As a DM this is a really well thought idea, what could possibly go wrong...

Seriously!

In the thicket of battle, orc archers atop a nearby building impede the route of the group as volley after volley of arrows are released upon the characters. One of the tactical players of the group hints that the archers should be taken care of, the idea is highlighted that it should be a small concentrated force, while the major force fights off the bulk of the orcs. The characters look at each other and realizing that they have Dwarves and Dragonborns fighting for them easily underestimate the situation and put a great amount of work load on the Dwarves and Dragonborns. The tiefling, who is the only one to speak Draconic, tells the Dragonborn to join them in battle, the Captain of the Phalanx offers the suggestion that a small task force would be readily able to handle the situation, the Dragonborn could stand stalwart before the dwarves and impede the rain of arrows. The tiefling replies "nah-ah. You are coming with me." And rolls a very high Diplomacy...

Here I could have just stated that the Dragoborn Captain hesitates, yet simply remains rooted in his decision not to join the player's or any of his dragonborn soldiers... yet, that wouldn't be fun and I offer to follow the die roll. d(^_^d )

Thus Rakkor, the Dragonborn Captain, heads off with the player's to remove the threat of the archer's. The good captain realizes the danger in this mission and leaves his men there, hoping that his troops won't be overwhelmed without him.

In order to make a long story short(er), the good Captain Rakkor dies, the heroes almost kill themselves in the process of defeating the archers at the top of the building by setting to flame the lower levels of the building as they head up(yes you read that right), and in the end they barely escape if not for the actions of a player who DITCHES... I mean purposely leaves his party behind, in their most terrifying life-or-death moment, in order to get a better focus on their present situation... and finds aid from a few of the other characters who were beating back the orcs and could offer aid.

The characters rest and in the morning, the one decision to bring Captain Rakkor into battle has some repercussions. The other Dragonborn soldiers weren't enough to hold back the volley of arrows and thus some of the dwarves died. In learning their Captain died the Dragonborn become enraged with the characters as do the dwarves. And in the end both groups promise vengence against the characters if they should meet again.

Neverwinter got far more interesting.

Morale of the Story:Everything can't absolutely go PERFECT, sometimes a good decision can be a bad decision, and sometimes a bad decision can be a good one.

...I still don't know why they set the bottom floors of the building on fire...
Kurt
Admin

The Dead Rabbits were an actual street gang in Manhattan in the mid-19th century, and an offshoot of the "Roach Guards". So the name is (at least to me) somewhat evocative of the very dangerous street gangs of that era, and thus at least plausible.

There is some (highly disputed) scholarship suggesting that "Dead Rabbits" was a very peculiar corruption of the words "dead" (in a slang sense meaning 'very') and "raibead" (which is asserted to have been Gaelic slang for "person to be feared"). To the best of my knowledge, though, that explanation for the name is considered to be unlikely, and instead the gang members simply chose the name "Dead Rabbits" for reasons that remain obscure.

I must admit this is very interesting. Thank you for sparing some wisdom on that subject Kurt.
m(_ _)m

DM Notes:
When the players don’t get the hint…the DM has to.
It’s simple really. I mean not so simple to be obviously noted -sort of like “the sky IS blue!”- but, rather given the cues and hints from the players it should have been easily picked up. Neverwinter is not the place they wanted to be.

Certainly we had our thrills and fun, but there was always something missing. Oddly it felt out of place sort-of-like watching SPEED and wondering why pedestrians continuously jumped from out of nowhere to get in front of the bus or smelling something awful in the elevator and looking for someone to blame only to realize you ARE the only one in the elevator.

The Neverwinter sessions came to a close when in the Hall of Justice (seriously no Justice League puns are necessary) one of the party members walked to Lord Neverember, Open Lord of Waterdeep and self-proclaimed Protector of Neverwinter, and in simple phrase said “Flock off!” (flock is being used as a substitute to protect innocent wandering eyes) .

Retribution came swiftly as the offender was dealt with by being tossed over the Southern Wall where plague-changed literally ripped him apart. The rest of the party was disassociated with Neverwinter and left to their meandering in the open wilds of the North. Thus, Neverwinter campaign tumbled into ruin…

Fin

Or is it?

Now I am not one to give up easily on the players or story; even if most of the players have. So come now Wednesdays Neverwinter will be no more, but in its place there shall be told the adventures of a motley crew of air-ship privateers within the Home Brew world of Hilinnin.

I can only hope the gods of gaming will bless this venture…

The article is really useful and meaningful popcap games free thank you for sharing.
← Previous 1