Artificer Trinkets

← Previous 1
Ok so I'm playing a very VERY homebrewed Artificer. My familiar is a clockwork transformer with 4 mods. Passive/Backpack/Mount/Attachment My DM and I are creating a chr sheet for it because it is so freakin complicated. Not only that but I am getting a lot of free range on making trinkets and would love to hear anyone elses ideas on cool stuff that an artificer can make. Wheather its very useless but fun or tactical, I want to hear them. I will also post all the ones that I have thought of so far.
Snap-Pulley:
A Retractable Spool that is attached to your wrist. The String can easily be ties to any weapon you wield. I would say that the string can only withstand about 10 lb so I don't expect this to work with a Maul. One can drop his weapon on the ground and simply Snap it back to their hand as a free action (or DM's digression).

Possible Upgrade:
A stronger string that can hold more weight
A longer string so that you can throw the item further or lower down a cliff
An easy detaching latch so that for any reason you can release the string
Stethoscope:
Exactly that, one can use it when creeping up to a door and better help hear what is on the other side of it. I would say either a +1 or +2 to a listen check.

Possible Upgrades:
Enchanted for a better bonus (can't think of how mechanics would enhance the listening ability)
Alchemist Caltips:
Caltips that's core is sphere shaped glass with small amounts of Alchemy. That way, when one steps on them, they take the caltip dmg as well as a bonus substance. Acid is a good idea. Lets say that the target steps on the caltips, breaks the glass, acid pours out and the target falls, now they are rolling in a small pool of acid.
Hidden Boot Knife:
A simple switch that can be pushed by ones toe inside the boot. Once the switch is pushed a one time use blade flips out from the front of ones boot. When using ones foot as an Unarmed attack, for one attack you can make it lethal or maybe even a +1 to Dmg. I say one b/c more than likely such a small blade would be brittle and break off after 1st use.

Possible Upgrades:
Spring loaded blade
Spring loaded blade that can be used as a projectile
Stronger metal used to make blade, for multiple uses
Clockwork Gizmo's:
This ones simple, TOYS. Who would have thought that an artificer would be an amazing toy maker. Sell to the rich children all over town, Impress company, win a science contest, distract your enemy, or simply be a true artificer who surrounds himself in his creations.
Heel Spring Boots:
Want to add an inch to your height? Install specially positioned springs to your boots. I would say that +1 to Jump checks and even +1 to Acrobatic checks when falling could work. The problem is retracting the springs, it wouldn't be automatic so you would have to either ditch the springs or sit and push them back into your soles. Either way, I wouldn't use these unless you were already planning to use them.

Possible Upgrades:
Replace Springs with smoke sticks. Think running away and release the smoke for an easy getaway.
The Chest of Holding

Its simple, build a chest, get a Fox Hole (the new version of a Portable hole but extremely nurfed) and lay it perfectly on the floor of the inside of the chest. Now I have a chest that is like 9 ft deep which is a way to bipass the chest ritual that can only use a non magical chest. the chest is not magical but the book says nothing about magic items inside the chest, HELL YEAH. look it up in Players Hand Book pg.307 its called "Leomund’s Secret Chest"
Timed Detonators:
Have you seen the movie Valkyrie? That's possible right? I mean its just a firing pin, copper tube, acid, lead, and instead of plastic explosive use black powder or a number of other alchemy. It's totally possible. Just don't forget the pliers to bend the tube.
These are some really neat ideas. I play a Mad Scientist in a Deadlands game, and I think will talk to my GM about how some of these contraptions might fit in that rules system. I see a steampunk flavor to some of them too. Thanks!
← Previous 1