Merchants and Catalogs

← Previous 1
Pointer-left Drizt_thumb
Don
Hey, all.

Any examples of campaigns out there that use the Merchants and Catalogs features in the Loot tab? I just noticed those features today and not sure what they are or how to use them. I figure the best way is to check out a campaign using them - assuming one or two are "Public."

Not critical, just wondering if anyone uses them and if I can check it out. My campaign's Loot pager is here, btw:
http://www.epicwords.com/redhandofdoom/loots

Regards,
-------- Greyson (Don) --------
I went through the AD&D Player's Handbook and adjusted the prices based on the markup of the merchants for the village in my campaign. That way, if the players want to purchase items outside the game, they can have an idea of what it will cost.
That's a very nice loot page/list you've got there Don. :)
I have also the same doubts. Not pretty sure how to use catalogs. Apparently, you can assign loot from a catalog to a merchant's inventory, but again, I'm not pretty sure how to do this. Any help would be apprecciated.
Thanks!
Catalogs and Merchants are great. I'll try to write up a How-To for you later tonight after work.
Epic!
Ok, to use merchants, you need to first set up catalogs.

1. Click the Catalogs tab.
  2. Click the New Catalog button.
  3. Type a name for the catalog. (I name my catalogs based on type of items. For example, I might have "minor scrolls" and "major scrolls" or "minor scrolls, arcane" or even "minor scrolls, arcane, Calimshan". It depends on how organized you wish to be. More organization makes it easier to find the specific items you want to place in each merchant's store later.)
  4. Click Create.
  5. Either add items manually (A) or upload from a database file (B). A.i. Click Add Item. ii. Fill in all the information for a single item. iii. Click Create. iv. Repeat until catalog is full. B.i. Click "Upload loot". ii. Click "Download template". You will download a comma-separated (CSV) database textfile. iii. Open the file in Excel or some other spreadsheet. iv. Add lines of inventory to the file. (Do not edit the first/header line. For the flag columns, leave blank for the flag to be unchecked; enter a 1 for the flag to be checked. Also, there is a character limit of about 175 characters on the description and DM note line.) v. Save the file as a new filename and in the CSV format. vi. Back on Epic Words, within your catalog, click Browse and select the new spreadsheet file you made. vii. Click Upload. viii. You should receive a "Loot successfully imported." message at the top of the page.
  6. Repeat for additional catalogs and/or items.
  7. Click the Merchants tab.
  8. Click New Merchant (or edit a current NPC and select the check box for "This is a merchant"). All merchants are NPCs.
  9. Click Create (or Update).
  10. Under the box with your merchants name, under "Inventory", select one of your catalogs from the dropdown box.
  11. Click Go.
  12. Check every item you would like to add to this merchant's inventory OR scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Select All".
  13. Click Add Items.
  14. Repeat to add more items from other catalogs.
  15. Repeat to add more merchants.

Now that you have created (a) merchant(s), how can your players buy things?

1. Click the Merchants tab.
  2. Click a merchant's name.
  3. From the dropdown box, select an available character (with his or her current cash on hand shown) to "Shop as". (If you are a DM and do not have any characters created for the campaign, you will not see this dropdown box.)
  4. Place a check to the right of every item you would like to purchase AND select the quantity. (You must do both.)
  5. At the bottom of the page, click Purchase.
Epic!
Thanks for the "How To" Lhynard!
Thank you very much, indeed!
Lhynard, I have a question. When I go to an already created NPC, the 'this is a merchant' checkbox doesn't appear. It only appears when I'm creating a new merchant from scratch at the Loot section. Is this a bug, or it has been modified?
Vicka
Lhynard, I have a question. When I go to an already created NPC, the 'this is a merchant' checkbox doesn't appear. It only appears when I'm creating a new merchant from scratch at the Loot section. Is this a bug, or it has been modified?

That sounds like a bug to me. I'll take a look at it.
← Previous 1